www.nutria.co.za - View topic - SAP using R4 in SWA ?
Register

SAP using R4 in SWA ?

South African Police (1913-1994)

SAP using R4 in SWA ?

Postby steven seymour » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Here is an interesting photo that I found.... it shows what could be either SAP and/or Koevoet using a combination of rifles.... In the foreground, an individual is using an R1, but with the rare 30 round extended magazine.... behind him is another member who is using a R4 (with what I believe is the extended 50 round magazine). Unfortunately very little else is known about this photo other than the fact it was taken in SWA during the early to mid 1980s. Any comment or views on this would be most welcome.
Attachments
SAP in SWA R1 and R4.jpg
SAP in SWA R1 and R4.jpg (77.17 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
Steven
A 20 year veteran..... hoping to survive the next 22 years!!

Re: SAP using R4 in SWA ?

Postby RUSA » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:41 pm

I see this is an older post not sure if you got the answer. From what my farther told me they the police was issued the FN and much later the R1 I will ask him regarding the R4 and find out from some veterans that I know.
Ryno Human
Honoring our fallen, Supporting our Veterans, Educating our Youth
http://rememberussa.blogspot.com

Re: SAP using R4 in SWA ?

Postby RUSA » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:48 am

steven seymour wrote:Here is an interesting photo that I found.... it shows what could be either SAP and/or Koevoet using a combination of rifles.... In the foreground, an individual is using an R1, but with the rare 30 round extended magazine.... behind him is another member who is using a R4 (with what I believe is the extended 50 round magazine). Unfortunately very little else is known about this photo other than the fact it was taken in SWA during the early to mid 1980s. Any comment or views on this would be most welcome.

Hi Steven I asked my father last night. He said that they first used the FN then R1 and close to the end of the Border war they were issued the R4 mid 80's to late 80's. Also funny is that they had som sten guns as well but he states it they only had a few state side at the station and that it was utterly bad weapons.
Ryno Human
Honoring our fallen, Supporting our Veterans, Educating our Youth
http://rememberussa.blogspot.com

Return to SAP