www.nutria.co.za - View topic - SADF Milkor MGL Build
Register

SADF Milkor MGL Build

SADF Milkor MGL Build

Postby slaaibak » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Milkor MGL

The MGL (Multiple Grenade Launcher) is a lightweight 40 mm six-shot revolver-type grenade launcher developed and manufactured in South Africa by Milkor (Pty) Ltd. The MGL was demonstrated as a concept to the South African Defence Force (SADF) in 1981. The operating principle was immediately accepted and subjected to a stringent qualification program. The MGL was then officially accepted into service with the SADF as the Y2. After its introduction in 1983, the MGL was gradually adopted by the armed forces and law enforcement organizations of over 30 countries; it has since been used in harsh environments ranging from rain forests to deserts. Total production since 1983 has been more than 50,000 units.

The MGL is a multiple-shot weapon, intended to significantly increase a small squad's firepower when compared to traditional single-shot grenade launchers like the M203. The MGL is designed to be simple, rugged, and reliable. It uses the well-proven revolver principle to achieve a high rate of accurate fire which can be rapidly brought to bear on a target. A variety of rounds such as HE, HEAT, anti-riot baton, irritant, and pyrotechnic can be loaded and fired as fast as the trigger can be pulled; the cylinder can be loaded or unloaded rapidly to maintain a high rate of fire. Although intended primarily for offensive and defensive use with high-explosive rounds, with appropriate ammunition the launcher is suitable for anti-riot and other security operations. A newly patented modification allows the MGL to fire less lethal (very low pressure) rounds.

The Project:

I recently acquired an ICS MGL which is based on the Milkor MGL or the M32 as the Yanks call it.
it has a relevent part in SA history so I decided to Make a local adaptation of it.

This will serve as my project log:

MGL As I received it:

and What I want it to look like:
or

Parts I need:

MGL Stock
MGL longer barrel with vertical grip
MGL grenade sight/red dot
Murtia Brown Ceracote paintjob

I probably will also shorten the cylinder to RS Specifications as the ICS is based off the M32L.
On a practical aspect I will still see if we'll get to that.

Progress:

29/04/2013
1st thing I did was Remove the Awful rails and M4 type stock! Gross!

7/5/2013
Today I received my stock in the post with spare butt pads! Sooo cool. it has a coat of black paint on it but you can see the Nutria coming through when you scratch off the black paint.

So I made work and remove all that was left of the old stock and attched the new SA type stock and already she looks much more like the real thing!
Stock folded

Stock Extended

My next mission is to find the Reddot and I perceive it as the most difficult part of my build...

Well till next time

Slaai

Re: SADF Milkor MGL Build

Postby Wez » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:52 pm

How is the build coming along?
Wez; Sweets; Terror of the Bush

Postby Wez » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Nickona, this is what I was talking about for the Grenade launcher that the guys use
Wez; Sweets; Terror of the Bush

Postby richardtl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:00 am

The standard M79 was also used, and a version with a R4 stock as well, in the 80's.
Richard

Postby francois » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:54 pm

I found this:

The website is referenced in the photo.
Francois

Postby slaaibak » Tue May 12, 2015 11:34 pm

UPDATE
Fitted all the bits last night.

Next Step PAINT!

And the FINAL OUTCOME!